Re: [tkined] building scotty 2.1.10 on HP-UX 10.20 (fwd)

George Smith (gbs@swdc.stratus.com)
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 14:15:24 -0800 (PST)

I've had some time to get back to this problem now and have more data.

I had already tried Mullaparthi's idea before but tried several
values of SHLIB_PATH and it didn't help. Then I noted that the
chatr on tnm2.1.10.sl specifies that SHLIB_PATH is disabled anyway,
just as it is on libtk80.sl:

$ chatr tnm2.1.10.sl
tnm2.1.10.sl:
shared library
shared library dynamic path search:
SHLIB_PATH disabled second
embedded path disabled first Not Defined
shared library list:
dynamic /usr/lib/libl.1
static branch prediction disabled
data page size: 4K
instruction page size: 4K

So setting SHLIB_PATH won't help. I used chatr +s to enable SHLIB_PATH
and tried various values of SHLIB_PATH and it still had the same error
message (see first msg below).

I tried an idea from Roy Terry: put some other shared library in place
of tnm2.1.10.sl; I used a copy of libtk80.sl and this is what happens:

$ ./scotty
initialization failed: couldn't load file "/usr/public/lib/tnm2.1.10.sl": unresolved symbol name

So this says to me that the "no such file or directory" error message
is not referring to /usr/public/lib/tnm2.1.10.sl but to something that
that library is trying to find.

Any ideas as to what the sequence of events are here? The binary "scotty"
is loading "tnm2.1.10.sl" which then trys to load something else. There
is /usr/public/lib/tnm2.1.10/pkgIndex.tcl which is what points at
/usr/public/lib/tnm2.1.10.sl and there is
/usr/public/lib/tnm2.1.10/library/init.tcl which does some manipulation
of the auto_path and of a variable $tnm(library). Are there any users
of scotty 2.1.10 that have it working on HP-UX 10.20? Advice or pointers
appreciated. TIA.

--
George B. Smith                      -=| Unix is user-friendly; it's just a
Ascend San Jose                      -=| little particular about which users