Re: [tkined] Subnet-zero and one another

Peter Polkinghorne (Peter.Polkinghorne@brunel.ac.uk)
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 11:31:05 +0100

> Peter Polkinghorne wrote:
> >
> > If you look at the code for ip_discover.tcl in .../lib/tkined1.4.10/apps - you
> > will see it assumes addresses with traditional class A, B, C structure.
> >
> > I guess the solution is to hack the code to at a suggestion add a new entry
> > point to just do your nectwork - the way it works is to cycle over N class C
> > networks.
>
> A better solution would be to allow the specification of the network
> mask as well as the network to limit the ip discover to only the network
> of interest. I would like to use the ip discover but having it crawl
> through every classful network is not acceptable for my use. Is this
> being considered for Tnm 3.0?
>
> Thanks,
> Matthew
>
> ------
> Matthew Levine
> Quality Assurance (Global Alliances)
> Cisco Systems, Santa Cruz http://www.cisco.com/
> mlevine@cisco.com (408) 457 - 5431

This is a good question and has sometimes bothered me in the past. What is needed is a standard for how to represent netmasks and some routines to manipulate - input, output, membership of nework and all members of a network - should be enough?

This information is gathered by ip_discover, but then thrown away - as is the detail of all the other addresses that a node might have. But I would be reluctant to add this extra info if this would break existing tools or they could not take advantage of it.

I suppose one could have extra attributes like netmask and address list?

Any views on this - Juergen?