Re: [tkined] Subnet-zero and one another

Matthew Levine (mlevine@cisco.com)
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 12:48:48 -0800

Peter Polkinghorne wrote:

> > I just installed the latest version of tkined/scotty and have
> > encountered a couple of problems. I have part of a class A
> > (24.231.0.0/19) and when I try to do an IP-discover of the zero
> > network (24.231.0.*), it defaults to the standard Class A netmask
> > and tries to get everything. Is there a way around this? Every box on
> > that net user 24 bits of mask.
> >
> If you look at the code for ip_discover.tcl in .../lib/tkined1.4.10/apps - you
> will see it assumes addresses with traditional class A, B, C structure.
>
> I guess the solution is to hack the code to at a suggestion add a new entry
> point to just do your nectwork - the way it works is to cycle over N class C
> networks.

A better solution would be to allow the specification of the network
mask as well as the network to limit the ip discover to only the network
of interest. I would like to use the ip discover but having it crawl
through every classful network is not acceptable for my use. Is this
being considered for Tnm 3.0?

Thanks,
Matthew

> > Also, is there a way to stretch the network line after it has been
> > discovered?
> >
> Yes - select the network and use the resize option - click'n'drag
>

> > Tomas T. Peiser, CET
> > Network Operator
> > Fundy Communications
> > tom@fundy.ca