Re: [tkined] Small mods to snmp-monitor.tcl?

Peter Polkinghorne (Peter.Polkinghorne@brunel.ac.uk)
Fri, 04 Dec 1998 12:54:31 +0100

[SNIP]

> Alan Hagge
> Sr. Systems Administrator
> Avery Research Center
>
> P.S. Regarding some recent comments about adding sound (when systems become
> unreachable, for example): Have you taken a look at the SNACK set of Tk/Tcl
> extensions (available from http://www.speech.kth.se/SNACK). I realize that
> the entire package is extreme overkill for this application, but it WOULD
> provide a relatively platform-independent way of adding sound effects. Has
> anybody seen any other (simpler) ways of adding simple sounds?

An idea I have thought about would be to allow the ined log objects to have either a pipeline or just a command bound to the log that would be handed each new log line (either through a pipe or exec the command).

This command could then play a sound, contact a pager or what ever ... it would be a very useful extension - might even try coding myself if interest?