Re: [tkined] Traffic flow MIB/app?

Scott D. MacKay (scott_mackay@mail.rte.com)
Fri, 06 Nov 1998 09:25:43 -0500

Nazmul Hossain wrote:

> I am using tkined to do the same job. My implementation is as follows:
> >
> > 1) Monitor the % used based on knowing how large the pipe is or find the
> > MB/s
> >

> On the tkIned, the SNMP-Monitor -> Interface Load can be used to get a stripchart of the interface
> utilization.
Cool, I will have to try this.

> > 2) Identify source and destination of the traffic flows (kind of like a
> > graphical snoop with flow rates).
> >

> This is bit tricky. I haven't seen any MIBs to support this kind of information. There may exist
> some ? The one I have implemented is by using RMON Probe. We are using HP LAN Probe, and as needed,
> capturing limited amount of (256 to be exact) packets going or coming from the router MAC address.
>
> Then we are analyzing the packets to find the protocol distribution and traffic matrix (by protocol
> and station). This gives us a approximate snapshot of the WAN pipe usage.
>
> I found a software based rmon probe called "btng", but failed to get it working.
>
> Another option is to use "tcpdump" capture packet. The analysis may have to be done by writing
> scripts. There may exist some scripts like that ?
I have seen a package called etherman (binary only) which does a cool
visual layout of ether & amount of traffic it produces, but was looking
for something more configurable. My main goal is that when I see our
pipe to the Internet being heavily utilized, I would like to take a
sample and find out who is using it and for what purpose.