Re: [tkined] Setting the Value in Snmp Tree

Erik Schoenfelder (schoenfr@gaertner.de)
Tue, 6 Oct 1998 23:25:30 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

On Mon, 05 Oct 1998 09:40:40 PDT,
"antonello morgia" <morgia@hotmail.com> said:

> Emre Gover <emreg@netas.com.tr>

EG> The network entity that Iwant to set is an HP-UX machine. So I had
EG> chosen Snmp-HP from Tools menu. Then I chose SET SNMP Variable
EG> submenu. Finally I tried to set sysLocation from SNMP TREE menu again,
EG> after changing the community string "public" to "private". Well I get
EG> the same error.

AM> I've tried to change the comunity attribute from public to
AM> private but it dosn't work again. Instead if I try to set the
AM> attribute by the following command line:

AM> "snmpset localhost private system.sysLocation.0 s "FLOOR 2" " it works.

Well, I was able to reproduce the problem, and have a little clue how
it should work.

If mibtree is started from the command line (eg as
/usr/local/lib/tkined1.4.10/apps/mibtree) there is an additional Agent
menue, which easily allows to configure host and community.

So it was no problem to set the sysLocation.

If mibtree is launched from tkineds tools menue, this Agent menue is
not present and the snmp-session information is taken from the tkineds
selected objects (the alias attribute).

So the alias have to be configured into the nodes attributes.

A `private' named alias may get into ~/.scottyrc like described in the
manpage snmp(n):

> snmp alias private "-writecommunity private"

Create a node on the canvas, set name/address. Then get the popup via
right mouse button -> `create a new attribute':
Name: SNMP:Alias
Value: private

Launch the mibtree browser via `Tools' -> `SNMP Tree', select the
previously created node on the canvas and `Set Value' should work.

I hope this is somewhat readable and helps,
Erik