Re: [tkined] Followup: Scotty w/ mSQL support?

Chris Caswell (chris@ncren.net)
Tue, 06 Oct 1998 15:30:09 -0400

Pieter van Zyl wrote:

> Chris Caswell wrote:
>
> > Doug Hughes wrote:
> >

> > > msql is now available as a complete and separate loadable module.
> > > Compile msql this way and load it in separately. This way you kill
> > > two birds with one stone:
> > > 1) you don't have an msql tied only to scotty
> > > 2) you have an msql that any app can use and that is dynamically loadable.
> > >
> > > --
> >

> > After looking at this some more, it appears that a large part of the problem
> > is that the Bones database support relies heavily on the use of primary keys,
> >
> > which are no longer supported with mSQL 2.0. I might have a hack at this,
> > changing the references to primary keys to indexes, but I'm not brimming over
> >
> > with confidence. Any obvious places to look other than the Bones.tcl file?
> >
> > Maybe I've missed something obvious, (I'm not really a programmer) but how
> > would I load mSQL as a tool under Tkined without compiling in the support for
> >
> > it? I do have mSQL running successfully on the system.
> >

> I have msql2.0.3 running with scotty 2.1.9 and tcl7.6.
> The procedure is quite simple. Build scotty without enabling msql
> Then compile msqltcl-2.30 (that is the version I am using) for the tcl to msql
> interface. (I compiled msqltcl with shared support)
> Test msqltcl to see if it is working.
> Use load or package require to load msqltcl in tcl.
> All the msqltcl commands are available in tcl and from scotty scripts.

That works fine.

Actually, I was trying to use the Bones database to store attributes of my network
elements through tkined. This required modification of msqltcl.c to remove the
call to IS_PRI_KEY which used to reside in the msql.h file, but is no longer used
with mSQL 2.x. After this change the installation worked without an error and
Bones is available as a tool.

I am now making adjustments to the bones.tcl script to work with the new data
types. I'll post the changes once I'm satisfied everything's working correctly.