Re: [tkined] Followup: Scotty w/ mSQL support?

Chris Caswell (chris@ncren.net)
Mon, 05 Oct 1998 10:37:10 -0400

Doug Hughes wrote:

> >I am trying to install scotty and tnm with support for the mSQL database
> >on Solaris 2.6. Everything compiles without error (if I remove the -z
> >text from the SHLIB_LD directive) but I receive an error during
> >installation-
> >
> >gcc -R /usr/local/lib -o scotty scotty.o -L/usr/local/lib -ltcl8.0
> >-lgen -lsoc
> >ket -lnsl -lrpcsvc -lresolv -ldl -lm
> >Installing scotty2.1.9 and tnm2.1.9.so
> >Installing ./../tnm/library/README
> >Installing ./../tnm/library/dialog.tcl
> >Installing ./../tnm/library/output.tcl
> >Installing ./../tnm/library/snmp.tcl
> >Installing ./../tnm/library/monitor.tcl
> >Installing ./../tnm/library/obsolete.tcl
> >Installing ./../tnm/library/init.tcl
> >initialization failed: couldn't load file "/usr/local/lib/tnm2.1.9.so":
> >ld.so.1:
> > ./scotty: fatal: relocation error: file /usr/local/lib/tnm2.1.9.so:
> >symbol IS_P
> >RI_KEY: referenced symbol not found
> >*** Error code 1
> >make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `tnm-install-library'
> >
> >The installation process does NOT fail if I remove the --enable-msql
> >option when configuring the Makefileso I don't believe it's a init.tcl
> >issue. I did try explicitly setting the MSQL_INCLUDES and MSQL_LIBRARY
> >flags as well.
> >
> >Has anyone installed this succesfully? BTW, I am using Scotty 2.1.9, tcl
> >8.0.3, tk8.0.3 and msql 2.0.4.1. Any ideas or pointers?
>
> msql is now available as a complete and separate loadable module.
> Compile msql this way and load it in separately. This way you kill
> two birds with one stone:
> 1) you don't have an msql tied only to scotty
> 2) you have an msql that any app can use and that is dynamically loadable.
>
> --

After looking at this some more, it appears that a large part of the problem
is that the Bones database support relies heavily on the use of primary keys,

which are no longer supported with mSQL 2.0. I might have a hack at this,
changing the references to primary keys to indexes, but I'm not brimming over

with confidence. Any obvious places to look other than the Bones.tcl file?

Maybe I've missed something obvious, (I'm not really a programmer) but how
would I load mSQL as a tool under Tkined without compiling in the support for

it? I do have mSQL running successfully on the system.