Re: [tkined] MIB Question

Doug Hughes (Doug.Hughes@Eng.Auburn.EDU)
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 08:23:14 -0500

>Hi:
>
> I am new to MIB. Can someone guide me so that I can have a jumpstart
>on it. I need to monitor httpd in one of the webserver.
>
> I am running tkined on AIX platform.
>
>HW Wong

A very brief and wholly inadequate summary:

A process needs to be running on your web server on port 161 listening
for SNMP queries. You send it a request, it sends you back an answer.
The encoding for the data that this process keeps is kept in a structure
called a MIB which stands for Management Information Base. The MIB is
described in a language called ASN.1 (Abstract Syntax Notation) which is
just a way to describe all of the objects which can be queried from a
particular host.

For more detailed information, I suggest one of the many excellent books
describing SNMP such as 'The Simple Book', or one of the 'Internetworking with
TCP/IP' volumes or 'TCP/IP illustrated' volumes, or any of the RFCs
describing SNMP and all of the standardized MIB extentions.