Re: [tkined] RMON agent

Oliver Hemming (Oliver.Hemming@jet.uk)
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 09:59:26 +0100

I know that this is not really the place to be discussing 3Com, but FWIW
the latest firmware for the PShub40 (2.10) does allow you to change the
community string, for the user under which you logged in as, via the
CLI; the latest firmware for the 1100/3300 switches (1.07) allows to set
all community strings and also the trap destinations.

However, it is also true that 3Com are very reluctant to supply the MIB
files to allow you to manage their devices and want you to buy Transcend
(which, on UNIX, currently doesn't work correctly stanadalone - you need
an unmbrella manager like SUN's Solstice Domain Manager or HP's
OpenView) - and in any case the current Unix version doesn't support the
3300 switch. One of the reasons we bought a 3300 switch was because of
it's roving port facility, but we cannot find out how to manage it via
SNMP.

--