Re: [tkined] RMON agent

Adam Winnington (winnina@trtln001.trt.allied.com)
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 13:16:00 -0400 (EDT)

> > I have problems with 3com's way of doing things at times, the inability to
> > change SNMP groups without using *their* software is annoying. I am using
> > Cabletron equipment here, and I enjoy the RMON groups (most of them, but I
> > get history and packet capture) and good SNMP support.
>
> I don't understand what you mean by 'inability to change SNMP groups'.
> (I'm not an SNMP expert.) Could you explain exactly what you can't do. (It
> may be that we're hitting this problem with apps like MeterWare and
> NetMetrix without realising it.)
>
> BTW are you talking about the PShub40 or other 3Com devices?

I had a 3com SuperStack II with RMON for a demo unit, and after some
conversations with the people at 3COM I discovered that there is no way to
change the community strings on those hubs (and possibly other 3com
devices) without using the 3Com Transend Network Management Software.

To quote Jerry Archer (Jerry_Archer@3com.com)
"You will not be able to change the community name via; CLI (Command Line
Interface) from the console port, Web Menagement using your web browser,
nor Telnet."

I returned the unit, and that was the end of it. If you allready have the
3com software, or the PShub40 doesn't have this limitation, enjoy.

-Adam-