Re: [tkined] [Q] IP network discovery

Doug Hughes (Doug.Hughes@Eng.Auburn.EDU)
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 08:22:26 -0500

>Hi,
> Sorry to post the message again, and I have asked it half a year
>before.
> Could any tell me another mehod to find the network structure, such
>as using SNMP? You know, in Scotty, it is done by ICMP but many
>networks disallow the ICMP, so I have to choose another way.
> Thank you very much.
>Lu Shan
>Southeast University

Cisco's NetCentral product used to do this by sending out a bunch of
SNMP get requests (for system.sysUpTime.0 as I recall)

However, this would best be done in a somewhat multi-threaded fashion.
You would send out a bunch of queries in parallel and handle responses
asynchronously.

A custom SNMP solution might be better for this.

FYI - I believe there are more sites that block SNMP than block ICMP