Re: [tkined] FAQ comments

Doug Hughes (Doug.Hughes@Eng.Auburn.EDU)
Thu, 28 May 1998 09:23:29 -0500

>Reading through the FAQ the following is not clear:
>
>In section 28 "Where do I define SNMP aliases?"
>and section 29 "How do I add another MIB to the SNMP engine?"
>
>there's mention of the site specific initialization file
> $tnm(library)/site/init.tcl
>
>but no mention of what $tnm(library)/site in the path means!

launch scotty, or load tnm and then do
puts $tnm(library). It should be /usr/local/lib/tnm2.1.9/library in
your case.

>I have a /usr/local/lib/tnm2.1.9/library directory (on my installation
>into the default locations) -- is that what $tnm(library) means?
>
>There's an init.tcl file in there, but it also refers to a site/init.tcl
>file. Where should this 'site' directory be? Is it a subdirectory of my
>/usr/local/lib/tnm2.1.9/library dir? And is 'site' its literal name, or
>should it be some name I choose for my site? I do have a directory
>/usr/local/lib/tnm2.1.9/sun4u-SunOS-5.5/ (with no init.tcl file) - is it
>this?

site is literal.

>There's also mention of a ~/.scottyrc file but I can't find any other
>reference to it in the FAQ. It's also mentioned in the Tnm man page, but
>again I can't find any more information.

You can put tnm commands or any valid Tcl command or proc in it. Mine looks like this:

global s
set s [snmp session]
proc walkit {handle mib} {
$handle walk x $mib {
set oid [lindex [lindex $x 0] 0]
set name [mib name $oid]
set parent [mib parent $name]
set p2 [mib parent $parent]
puts -nonewline "$p2.$parent.$name "
puts " [lindex [lindex $x 0] 2]"
}
}

>Incidentally in the man pages there are some links to
>http://localhost/cgi-bin/man2html/... which obviously don't work from
>here.
>
>BTW this man2html script: assuming it does what its name suggests, where
>can I get it?

Use tkman! It's very nice! (available at neosoft)