Re: [tkined] How to install Tcl/Tk8.0 Sun package + Scotty?

Doug Hughes (Doug.Hughes@Eng.Auburn.EDU)
Tue, 26 May 1998 12:32:24 -0500

>It is my belief that you should be using the GNU CC compiler when building
>this on your Sun system.
>
>I have not gotten very much software to build correctly using the
>/usr/ccs... versions.
>
>Be sure to get GNU Make, too.

Yes and no.

The sun compiler works perfectly well. I've been using it for years without
any problems on various version of Tcl, scotty and other products.
The problem is if you have /usr/ucb first in your path instead of
the compiler bin directory (typically /opt/SUNWspro/bin), this is a
special flag to the compiler to tell it to run in compatability mode.
It links in /usr/ucblib and other evil stuff. This causes many things
to fail that would normally work fine.

If your path is set such that the compiler is first, these problems go away.
Likewise, Sun's make works fairly well too, though I do enjoy gmake -j4
on a multi-cpu server.. :)