Re: [tkined] An error on something I don't see a problem with?

Curt Sampson (cjs@portal.ca)
Fri, 1 May 1998 11:08:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Robert Seeger wrote:

> > illegal IP address or name "Net136_32.cfs.slk"
>
> while trying to perform an snmp operation (not sure if it's a get or set).
> Does anyone know why this DNS resolvable name is causing a problem?

It's an illegal host name because it's got an underscore in it.
>From TnmValidateIpHostName() in generic/tnmUtil.c:

/*
* A host name must start with one of the characters [a-zA-Z0-9]
* and continue with characters from the set [-.a-zA-Z0-9] and
* must not end with a '.' or a '-'. Names that only contain
* digits and three dots are also not allowed.
*/

cjs

Curt Sampson cjs@portal.ca Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc. Through infinite mist, software reverberates
Vancouver, BC (604) 257-9400 In code possess'd of invisible folly.