Re: [tkined] URGENT: illegal octet string value

Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de)
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 10:52:34 +0100

Hardev> I have the following in the mib: pattern1 OBJECT-TYPE SYNTAX
Hardev> OCTET STRING (SIZE (0..818))

Hardev> I am running scotty2.1.8 on WinNT with Tcl8.0. When I try to
Hardev> set pattern1 as follows: snmp4 set [list [list pattern1 "OCTET
Hardev> STRING" "a5 a5 a5"]]

Hardev> it gives me the foll. error: illegal octet string value

Hardev> What am I doing wrong?

Here is what the snmp(n) manual page says about OCTET STRING values:

> OCTET STRING An OCTET STRING is a sequence of octect
> (= bytes). The primitive Tcl string
> representation for an OCTET STRING value
> is a string containing hexadecimal
> numbers (from 00 to ff) separated by
> colons. For example, the ASCII string
> "rose" is represented as "72:6f:73:65".

If you want to set the ASCII string "a5 a5 a5", the primitive octet
string value is "61:35:20:61:35:20:61:35". If you want to set the
three hexadecimal values 0xa5, the primitive octet string value is
"a5:a5:a5". Specify a suitable DISPLAY-HINT if you want automatic
conversions.
Juergen

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder  schoenw@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de http://www.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw
Technical University Braunschweig, Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks