Re: [tkined] Make install problems with scotty2.1.7

Matthias Gruber (Matthias.Gruber@bku.db.de)
26 Feb 1998 15:38:47 +0100

hello,

the solution is to make the static librarys libtcl*.a and libtk*.a and disable
the shared libs while compiling

in fact i dont know if thats an solution (cause i am not a unix programmer)
but it worked on a solaris 2.51 sparc and a linux 2.0.33 machine both with
tcl/tk 8.0.

> I'm trying to install scotty2.1.7 on a sparc solaris2.5 machine
> with Tcl/Tk 8.0/8.0. Everything compiles fine, but when I do
> make install I get:
>
> Installing scotty2.1.7 and tnm2.1.7.so
> Installing ./../tnm/library/README
> Installing ./../tnm/library/dialog.tcl
> Installing ./../tnm/library/output.tcl
> Installing ./../tnm/library/snmp.tcl
> Installing ./../tnm/library/monitor.tcl
> Installing ./../tnm/library/obsolete.tcl
> Installing ./../tnm/library/init.tcl
> initialization failed: can't find package Tnm 2.1.7
> This usually means that you have to define the TCLLIBPATH environment
> variable to point to the tnm library directory or you have to include
> the path to the tnm library directory in Tcl's auto_path variable.
> make: *** [tnm-install-library] Error 1
>
> It seems to bomb out on the line that pipes an echo statement into
> ./scotty
>
> I've tried the fixed that Doug Hughes mentioned in his article
> posted on Dec 15 1998 (placing "exit" in the echo that is piped into
> scotty.) Before that I also tried the obvious, that is I set my
> TCLLIBPATH variable as it is explained under usage later in the install
> instructions. I even edited the init.tcl config file for tcl8.0 and
> this gave the same results. Any clues as to what is going on??

Allow me to reply to my earlier email, however not with an answer.
I thought this extra information might help some of the list regulars.
I downloaded the Scotty2.1.8 distribution, compiled it just fine
but when I do `make install` I get the following error as before:

<raven> /unix % setenv TCLLIBPATH /opt/solaris/lib/tnm2.1.8/
<raven> /unix % make install
Installing scotty2.1.8 and tnm2.1.8.so
Installing ./../tnm/library/README
Installing ./../tnm/library/dialog.tcl
Installing ./../tnm/library/output.tcl
Installing ./../tnm/library/snmp.tcl
Installing ./../tnm/library/monitor.tcl
Installing ./../tnm/library/obsolete.tcl
Installing ./../tnm/library/init.tcl
initialization failed: can't find package Tnm 2.1.8
This usually means that you have to define the TCLLIBPATH environment
variable to point to the tnm library directory or you have to include
the path to the tnm library directory in Tcl's auto_path variable.
make: *** [tnm-install-library] Error 1

bye,
Matthias Gruber