Re: [Fwd: Re: [tkined] Make install problems with scotty2.1.7]

Doug Hughes (Doug.Hughes@Eng.Auburn.EDU)
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 09:21:32 -0600

>--------------32E6B7B3BD8
>
>Arso,
> Thank you for the response. I was beginning to think my problem
>was isolated to our site's configuration. I checked the 1997 and 1998
>archives, and the closest thing I could find to a real fix for this
>was Doug Hughes suggestion to replace the "./scotty" with
>$(prefix)/bin/tclsh. This got me a little further into the install:
>
>Making directory /opt/solaris/lib/tkined1.4.8/apps
>Installing ./../tkined/apps/manager.tcl
>Installing ./../tkined/apps/event.tcl
>Installing ./../tkined/apps/movie.tcl
>Installing ./../tkined/apps/bones.tcl
>Installing ./../tkined/apps/ip_trouble.tcl
>Installing ./../tkined/apps/ip_monitor.tcl
>Installing ./../tkined/apps/ip_layout.tcl
>Installing ./../tkined/apps/ip_discover.tcl
>Installing ./../tkined/apps/ip_world.tcl
>Installing ./../tkined/apps/snmp_trouble.tcl
>Installing ./../tkined/apps/snmp_monitor.tcl
>Installing ./../tkined/apps/snmp_browser.tcl
>Installing ./../tkined/apps/snmp_host.tcl
>Installing ./../tkined/apps/snmp_cisco.tcl
>Installing ./../tkined/apps/snmp_hp.tcl
>Installing ./../tkined/apps/cmip_trouble.tcl
>Installing ./../tkined/apps/clock.tcl
>Installing ./../tkined/apps/game.tcl
>Installing ./../tnm/examples/mibtree
>Installing ./../tkined/apps/library.tcl
>Installing ./../tkined/apps/README
>Installing ./../tkined/apps/world-map.xbm
>Installing ./../tkined/apps/usa-map.xbm
>Installing ./../tkined/apps/germany-map.xbm
>Installing ./../tkined/apps/locations
>
>To use the Tnm extension, you have to set the TCLLIBPATH
>environment variable or you have to edit the init.tcl file
>which is part of your Tcl installation. See the README file
>for further instructions how to do this.
>
>The Tnm extension includes two programs (ntping, straps)
>which require root permissions. Please get root permissions
>and type >> make sinstall << to install them setuid root.
>

>However, I still cannot execute scotty as I get the same
>message:
>
>{raven:root:73} echo $TCLLIBPATH
>/opt/solaris/lib/tnm2.1.8
>{raven:root:76} ./scotty
>initialization failed: can't find package Tnm 2.1.8
>This usually means that you have to define the TCLLIBPATH environment
>variable to point to the tnm library directory or you have to include
>the path to the tnm library directory in Tcl's auto_path variable.
>{raven:root:78} /opt/solaris/bin/scotty2.1.8
>initialization failed: can't find package Tnm 2.1.8
>This usually means that you have to define the TCLLIBPATH environment
>variable to point to the tnm library directory or you have to include
>the path to the tnm library directory in Tcl's auto_path variable.
>

>So at this point I suspect I am no further in the installation
>process then I was before. Surely someone has installed this
>successfully on Solaris2.5 before...

I just happened to have a few spare usecs to install 2.1.8 this morning.
Compiled lickity split on our Ultra2 (I like it!) ;)

Anyway, since my name was brought up, I suppose I should throw in
my own $.02

make, make install, and test run all worked fine for me. (tcl7.6/tk4.2)
[Aside: aren't we all glad that in 8.0 they unified the release numbers
of the tcl and tk distributions?!?!]

Of note:
I configured tcl7.6 with --prefix=/opt/tcl7.6 --enable-shared
I configured scotty/tnm with --prefix=/opt/tcl7.6 (uses enabled shared from
tcl7.6 by default)

I believe people in the past who have experienced the install problem have
not configured tcl with --enable-shared flag.

In this regard, 2.6 should be no different than 2.5, or 2.5.1, or 2.4, etc

After the install I also get this message:
Installing ./../tkined/apps/germany-map.xbm
Installing ./../tkined/apps/locations

To use the Tnm extension, you have to set the TCLLIBPATH
environment variable or you have to edit the init.tcl file
which is part of your Tcl installation. See the README file
for further instructions how to do this.

The Tnm extension includes two programs (ntping, straps)
which require root permissions. Please get root permissions
and type >> make sinstall << to install them setuid root.

-----
But! if you configure as indicated above, you should be able to safely ignore this
message. I have never ever had to set TCLLIBPATH when building
tnm/scotty/tkined or running, or installing, etc.