Re: [Fwd: Re: [tkined] Make install problems with scotty2.1.7]

Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de)
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 15:32:12 +0100

Rob> However, I still cannot execute scotty as I get the same message:

[snip]

Rob> So at this point I suspect I am no further in the installation
Rob> process then I was before. Surely someone has installed this
Rob> successfully on Solaris2.5 before...

Sure, I am currently maintaining the code under Solaris and Linux.
And the installation procedure works fine in my case. ;-)

Rob> I've gone through a lot of frustration because of that particular
Rob> problem. Various versions of scotty that I tried to install
Rob> broke-up the installation at the same spot with the same error
Rob> message that you and many more of us mentioned.

Its difficult to fix this problem (if there is one that I can fix)
without being able to reproduce it. Someone who experiences this
problem must invest some time to find the cause of the problem. The
first step would be to trace the system calls and to check where the
Tcl library searches for the extension. On solaris, you would invoke
something like `truss scotty' or if you have the PD version strace,
you would call `strace scotty'.

Juergen

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder  schoenw@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de http://www.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw
Technical University Braunschweig, Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks