Re: [tkined] problem installing Scotty with Red Hat Linux 5.0

David Engel (david@sw.ods.com)
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 15:55:13 -0600

On Tue, Feb 24, 1998 at 01:14:54PM +0100, Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:

> Laurent> I have tried to istall the scotty package (version 2.1.8) on
> Laurent> a RedHat Linux 5.0 and it fails when compiling dynamic
> Laurent> loadable modules.
>
> [snip]
>
> Laurent> If anyone of you have an idea where the problem is (and
> Laurent> what's the solution), reply me !
>
> This has been discussed on this list before. We believe that this is a
> bug in RedHat Linux 5.0. (The C library header don't match the kernel
> headers.) I guess you can easily fix the problem by hand by changing
> one of the conflicting types, but the real fix should come from
> RedHat. (We don't run RedHat here so we can't provide more detailed
> help.)

No Juergen, the problem really is with scotty. The problem is because
of conflicts with definitions in /usr/include/asm/byteorder.h. As a
general rule, normal programs should never directly include any
headers from /usr/include/asm or /usr/include/linux. Scotty should be
using /usr/include/endian.h instead.

David

--
David Engel                        ODS Networks
david@sw.ods.com                   1001 E. Arapaho Road