Re: [tkined] porting to AIX

Joshua Krage (jkrage@access.digex.net)
28 Jan 1998 12:06:03 -0500

Christian Mathieu <mathieu@fr.ibm.com> writes:
> Can someone who has successfully ported tkined to AIX
> respond to me about how to handle the missing "tool pull-down menu" ?

Thanks for spurring me into activity with the question...

The short answer is no. A longer answer is that the problem is in
Tcl, not TkIned/Scotty/TNM perse. The longest answer is below.

My test platform is AIX 3.2.5 using the IBM cc compiler. The
porting.notes file has a method of getting around the compile-time
errors fairly smoothly.

Currently, Scotty/TkIned requires TCL 7.6p2 and supposedly doesn't yet
work with Tcl 8.0 (or 8.1).

Tcl7.6p2 fails IO tests 14.1 and I think all of 14. These tests don't
complete, they just hang, in an infinite loop until killed. 14.1 is
the Tcl_InputBlocked on nonblocking pipe test. Unfortunately, this is
the 'new' method that TkIned frontend uses to communicate with the
Scotty backend.

The 'Tools' menu is created by a backend script. When TkIned starts
the script to create the menu, it hangs, just like the TCL tests
indicate. Therefore no menu is created.

Note that the scotty example scripts will work and are useful. Just
the TkIned integration is gone, and the Tools-specific scripts need to
be run from TkIned.

Tcl8.0 compiles fine with a minor change to the generated Makefile
(remove the -bnoentry argument to the SHLIB_LD line). It passes the
io tests with no reported problems. So, when TkIned/Scotty are ready
for Tcl8.0 (and soon 8.1), it should work on AIX.

I don't remember the version number correctly, but at some point I had
an earlier version of Tkined/Scotty (pre-TNM days) running perfectly
with Tcl and Tk on AIX 3.2.5. I think the Tcl version was 7.4 or 7.5