Re: [tkined] Bug in Scotty's SNMP agent implementation

Mark Ellison (ellison@world.std.com)
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 13:31:04 -0500

Heiko,

I think the scenario you've described is working as expected, according to
rfc2089, sxn 2.1:

The SNMPv2 error status is mapped to an SNMPv1 error-status using
this table:

SNMPv2 error-status SNMPv1 error-status
=================== ===================
noError noError
tooBig tooBig
noSuchName noSuchName
badValue badValue
readOnly readOnly
genErr genErr
wrongValue badValue
wrongEncoding badValue
wrongType badValue
wrongLength badValue
inconsistentValue badValue
noAccess noSuchName
--> notWritable noSuchName
noCreation noSuchName
inconsistentName noSuchName
resourceUnavailable genErr
commitFailed genErr
undoFailed genErr
authorizationError noSuchName

It appears that your Agent is receiving and responding with SNMPv1 PDUs, but
the subagent/handler for sysDescr.0 is returning an SNMPv2c error code.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark Ellison