Re: [tkined] Scotty 2.1.7 Installation/Solaris 2.6

Doug Hughes (Doug.Hughes@Eng.Auburn.EDU)
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 09:30:47 -0600

>Dear Sirs,
>
>I am currently trying to compile Scotty 2.1.7 on a Solaris 2.6 (SunOS 5.6)
>SPARC machine and get the following errors on the 'make' step:
>
>--BEGIN--
>
>gcc -o ntping ntping.o
>Undefined first referenced
> symbol in file
>socket ntping.o
>getprotobyname ntping.o
>gethostbyname ntping.o
>bind ntping.o
>setsockopt ntping.o
>getsockopt ntping.o
>sendto ntping.o
>getsockname ntping.o
>recvfrom ntping.o
>ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to ntping
>make: *** [ntping] Error 1
>
>--END--
>
>Tcl 8.0p2 and Tk 8.0p2 are installed correctly and work fine. Also, I ran
>'configure' with the '--enable-gcc' parameter and encountered no errors.
>When I run 'make', those errors occur, and the 'make' compiling script
>comes to a halt, ending installation of Scotty 2.1.7.
>
>Regards,
>
>Basit Shehram
>Zone One

Did you notice at the link phase were the -lnsl -lsocket flags there?
That's usually what causes that error on Solaris < 2.6. They have have done
some more library splitting in 2.6. I haven't had a chance to install
it here yet.. (Any week now.. - maybe if I keep telling myself that.. ;)