Re: [tkined] Accessing variables in the vendor private MIB

Daniel R Ehrlich (ehrlich@cse.psu.edu)
Tue, 09 Dec 1997 10:34:46 -0500

>> I guess this is really a general SNMP question, so feel free to reply to me
>> directly and not pollute the tkined list. But I can't firgure how to do it
>> with Scotty either!
>>
>> How can I access the variables in a vendor's (say Bay Networks) private MIB
>> extensions? I have all of the MIB files from my vendor, but am not yet clue
-full enough with SNMP to figure this out. If one of you would be willing
>> to share you wisdom with a novice it would be appreciated.
>
>Just like you access any other MIB variable, with $snmp get { ... }. The
>OIDs of the variable should be somewhere in the private tree:
>
> internet.private.enterprises.{your-vendor-here}.{your-variable-path}.

OK. But do I have to use the numbers or can I use the symbolic names? Like

internet.private.enterprises.wellfleet.wfInternet.wfRipGroup

How does tkined/scotty know what values to use for `wellfleet', `wfInternet',
etc. If I copy the MIB files into the directory that tkined has all the others
in is that sufficient? Or do they need to be `compiled' somehow?

Thanks,
Dan

--
Dan Ehrlich - Systems Analyst - PSU Computer Science and Engineering
"Universities should be safe havens where ruthless examination of realities