Re: [tkined] [tnm] [Q] icmp on WindowsNT?

Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de)
Thu, 4 Dec 1997 18:32:43 +0100

drueke@windward.windwardtech.com (Ray Drueke) said:

Ray> I'm trying to create some scotty scripts to help us in an
Ray> event correlation package we're working on and was
Ray> disappointed to find that the Scotty icmp package hasn't been
Ray> ported to WindowsNT.

Ray> What is necessary to do the port? I'd be happy to take a stab
Ray> at it however I just learned how to spell TCP/IP last week and
Ray> icmp on Monday! (Actually, assume reasonable intelligence and
Ray> little experience with network porogramming, especially on
Ray> WindowsNT)

We have done a port of the ICMP command to WindowsNT which is mostly
equivalent to the UNIX version. WindowsNT is really ugly when it comes
to things like sending ICMPs. The only way to do it right now is to
use the icmp.dll which is undocumented (of course) and only has
blocking library calls to send ICMPs. This requires to create several
threads in order to get the behaviour we have on UNIX systems.

Now, the next question will be: Where can I get your implementation?

Well, I have still not finished the next version. But I decided that
it is about time to change my policy with regard to the source
code. So, instead of keeping my current sources private, I will now
make snapshots available so that people can look at it. However, these
snapshots are not guaranteed to do anything useful. Nor are they
expected to compile on your favourite platform. And don't expect me to
respond to questions (although I will appreciate bug fixes - of
course). Having said all that, here is where you can find the first
one:

ftp://ftp.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/pub/local/tkined/devel/scotty-97-12-04.tar.gz

Once again: This version is known to be incomplete, especially the
revised SNMP interface I am working on is not yet finished.

Juergen

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder  schoenw@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de http://www.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw
Technical University Braunschweig, Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks