Re: [tkined] problems with Scotty2.1.5 (it was working)

Doug Hughes (Doug.Hughes@Eng.Auburn.EDU)
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 16:17:12 -0600

>I have been using scotty2.1.5 for some time. It compiled fine under
>sunos4.1.3 using the porting notes provided by Doug Hughes. I was able
>to get the SNMP TREE command to work in tkined by using a suggestion
>posted on the list (I dimly remember some kind of motif error).
>
>I obtained scotty2.1.7 and compiled it again but this time the make
>install failed with an error "Undefined symbol: __res". I saw this pop
>up on the list, too, for other OSs. No problem, I'll just keep using
>scotty2.1.5. Except now I get errors about undefined symbol: __res when
>I try to use SNMP TREE in tkined. I reinstalled ("make install")
>scotty2.1.5 but still get these errors. Any suggestions, other than "If
>it works, don't f... with it."
>
>Thanks a lot,

Have you installed a new version of bind lately? The newer versions of
bind change the name of the res symbol (I think by adding an extra _ or
removing one.. I can't remember.) The porting notes are guaranteed to
work with 4.9.3, probably work with 4.9.4 (don't recall), but definitely
do not work with 4.9.5 and above without reconfiguring and redoing the
symbol stuff. Can you run tclsh, load the tnm module, and then have
the dns stuff work?

example:
4.1.3machine% /opt/tcl7.5/bin/tclsh
% load /opt/tcl7.5/lib/tnm2.1.5.so
% dns address ftp.uu.net
192.48.96.9
%

if that doesn't work, there's a problem with the way your tnm library
is setup, or the way your bind stuff is linked to it.

-