Re: [tkined] how to make a collapsed group show a problem within it?

Gerd Aschemann (ascheman@informatik.th-darmstadt.de)
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 07:18:54 +0200 (MET DST)

Darrell Berry wrote:
>if i gather together a bunch of devices in a group then collapse it to an
>icon, how can i have the GROUP icon flash if there's an alert on one of its
>consitituent devices which is monitored (ie if it was expanded, that
>particular device's icon would flash)?

If one of the contained icons starts to flash the embracing collapsed
group will flash too -- even the iconized tkined will ...

The last point is sometimes a problem: If my display is [x]locked the
flashing tkined icon grabs the screen and all the devices (or at least
the keyboard) so I am not fast enough to type my password and unlock
the screen -- after a few keystrokes it returns to the game of life.
On the other hand xlock won't start up if there is a flashing tkined
somewhere, maybe on another invisible part of the virtual desktop
(fvwm). The error message is

X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 20 (X_GetProperty)
Resource id in failed request: 0x3c00b5f
Serial number of failed request: 251

Sometimes it starts after a few tries or triggered by xautolock so I
am back at my first problem :(

Any ideas?

--
Gerd Aschemann --- Aschemann@Informatik.TH-Darmstadt.de
    Veröffentlichen heißt Verändern (Carmen Thomas)