Re: porting 2.1.5 to 8.0b2 on Solaris2

Bernd Hentig (bernd@finow.snafu.de)
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 09:18:28 +0100 (WET DST)

>Bernd> All those porting quirks left me with the impression that
>Bernd> Tcl/tk is not a future platform for my projects. I'm just
>Bernd> about to finish a network monitoring system completely
>Bernd> implemented in itcl2.2/scotty2.1.5/blt2.2/expect5. This
>Bernd> system will probably never be ported to itcl3.0 because the
>Bernd> relevant changes and the waiting time until all used
>Bernd> extensions are available under tcl8.0final (and running
>Bernd> stable!) is exceeding my patience (and that of my employer).
>
>Please note that there is no final 8.0 yet. This means that until now
>no waiting time has passed. I can't understand that why this already
>exceeds your patience.

Yes. Unfortunately I initially decided to use the BLT1.9 package with
my application. When porting from tcl7.4/tk4.0 to tcl7.6/tk4.2 some
really vital commands like blt_bgexec stopped working and it took me much
time to get a working BLT version again (now 2.1pl99 ;) - finally I had to hack
all the *.in files myself even though there are currently 2 competing
project teams working on this extension (sigh - this remembers me to
this snmpd problem I still have ...).

Next, when porting from tcl7.4 to tcl7.6, most packages just skipped
the static library support - unfortunately I have to support ancient
OSs like Ultrix and I needed to go through all the extension packages
(including scotty) to make my static "megatcl" binary working again.
(The ldaout pseudo dynamic linking script from tcl7.6 simply doesn't work.)

These are the kind of incompatible changes that let me think that tcl
is no longer the right development platform for me - I haven't said
that either Java or anything else would be better though ;) - so perhaps
I will still use tcl in the year 2000, who knows.

>Anyway, the extension writers at the Tcl workshop announced 8.0
>compatible release in the September/October timeframe, which is
>probably 2 month after the final 8.0 release. I think this is
>acceptable. Please also note that this is basically free software. I
>am pretty sure that you will get better and more timely support if you
>are willing to pay for it.

Yes, I really do hope you are right and this timeframe is reliable.
If I only knew how to get at the documentation about the current tcl8.0
internals this would help me when porting my own extensions (which are
only a few). Also, where can I get the Tcl workshop documentation ?
Sorry, the last Qs really belong to c.l.t.

Unfortunately, my employer doesn't understand about free software and
probably won't pay for it. When I told him that it took me about 2 months
just for porting all those extensions from tcl7.4 to tcl7.6 he asked me why
I didn't use Java - you know, these are the guys who buy us all those WinNT
machines...

>If you are going to switch to Java, please consider to prepare a
>presentation at the next Tcl/Tk conference about your experience. I
>am really curious what your experiences will be.

I'm not sure what to do yet - this depends on the next project plan from
my employer who will probably be very hesitant to spend $$ on porting
a running project again ... OTOH I'm very curious, too <grin :>
During the next couple of months I will be trying to reimplement the
graphical SNMP Browser part of my finished project to Java as a working
example - if you consider this useful, I will report my experiences to
this mailing list.

>Juergen Schoenwaelder <jschon@research.bell-labs.com> Tel. +1 908 (gone)
Wow - did you become one of those gurus with
these long white beards now ?

Bernd