Re: porting 2.1.5 to 8.0b2 on Solaris2

Peter da Silva (peter@baileynm.com)
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 07:48:45 -0500 (CDT)

> Yes. IMHO the changes made to the IO subsystem are targetted at something
> called "least common denominator" between Unix, W95, NT and McOS.

I thought the original changes to the I/O subsystem were primarily to allow
the Tk event loop to be used in Tcl. The difficulty of doing event-driven
programming in conjunction with stdio is something I've run into in the past,
in the realtime industry.

Stdio has some real shortcomings, in and of itself. Several people have written
new I/O libraries (Dan Bernstein, for example, in qmail) to try and address
this. There are also several features in some of stdio's precursors that were
dropped that I've missed over the past twenty years, such as the ability to
use it on strings and other file-like entities.

What sort of problems are you having with the new Tcl I/O subsystem, exactly?