Re: porting 2.1.5 to 8.0b2 on Solaris2

Cary B. O'Brien (cobrien@access.digex.net)
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 08:58:08 -0400 (EDT)

> I ported (for my own sake) 2.1.5 to 8.0b2 on Solaris2. Note, the UDP

Good for you!

<soapbox>
To be honest I am quite disenchanted with the changes to the TCL
IO system in the last year or so. I mean the whole point
of stdio is so that there so applications don't have to do buffered IO!
I guess that's what happens when you have to run on second-rate
operating systems. I'm sure it was all well thought out and
everything, but it sure has bloated TCL. And this channel stuff.
arg. I still don't understand it completly. And it really doesn't
like datagrams, and I have both X25 and UDP apps to support.
It has caused me a lot of wasted time.
</soapbox>

> stuff may be very rough, and it won't interoperate with regular Tcl
> gets type stuff (because it doesn't use real channels, didn't feel like
> it since I never use the udp option anyway), but it does work. This

The TCL-DP code has examples of how to integrate with the Tcl event
system. I hacked up their code and came up with stand-alone shared
libraries to do UDP and X25 (hp-ux specific, I'm sure). It seems to
work. I know it works with tclx select. I'm not sure it works with
fileevent.

To get the datagrams, however, you need to make a separate call --
gets is just too hung up with doing buffering to understand datagrams.
At least as near as I could tell. I could be wrong.

It is still not integrated with binary io and objects, since from
nothing but man pages (and I like man pages!) I haven't been
able to figure it all out yet.

> code will not be portable outside Unix (e.g. NT) and I make no warranties,
> but it works for me, and the changes are small enough that I thought anybody
> else running Solaris2 might find this of use. The changes are small enough
> that it should work with any Unix variant.

Hmm. Will try linux soon.

-- cary
cobrien@access.digex.net