Re: Running scotty as a CGI

Buz Owen (ado@bbn.com)
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 21:01:07 -0400

> ... my simpleton scotty scripts do give me a:
>
>"couldn't find home environment variable to expand path"

Web servers often deliberately don't provide a HOME environment variable (a
mistake IMHO), and this results in the error/warning message you are seeing,
when tcl tries to read `~/.scottyrc', because it can't be translated
using env(HOME).

You might be able to configure your web server to pass a HOME environment
variable through to your scripts. Or you can wrap your scripts in a shell
script that sets HOME before invoking your scotty script. It is fine if there
is no .scottyrc file in this dir. Or you can hack tclUnixInit not to complain
when filename translation fails. Tcl 8.0 does this right.

hope this helps. /b