Re: tkined hangs up my Linux system

Neale Banks (neale@planet.net.au)
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 18:23:44 +1000 (EST)

On Fri, 30 May 1997, James Bracco wrote:

> I installed 7.6/4.2 from smli.com and Scotty 2.1.5. I
> was able to bring up tclsh, wish, etc. I can bring up
> tkined but it eventually hangs up my machine, completely.
> This occurs at seemingly random points. I expect this
> behavior from Windows, not Unix! I reinstalled, checked
> the FAQ, porting notes etc. Can someone give some
> direction ?

Maybe this is related to a problem I have: most times when tkined puts up
a dialog box my X-server locks up for a couple of minutes (I haven't
actually timed it). the lockup is pretty severe (no response to k/b or
mouse, not even caps lock but it all seems to be stacked for replay), it
eventually comes back with no ill effects. Have you waited *many* minutes?

I also had an "interesting" time with X-fonts to get tkined going - for
reasons unknown, tkined inspired my X-server to *need* some Adobe fonts.
They were not present and tkined locked up without displaying anything.
I can't help wondering if this is somehow related - font aliasing in X is
something I have never done before.

I'm running Linux (Debian 1.2.4), tcl74, tk40, scotty 2.0.2, tkined 1.3.4
(yes, I know they're old).

Neale.