Re: [Q] Unrelated to scotty, but . . .(Router Discovery cont.)

Doug Hughes (Doug.Hughes@Eng.Auburn.EDU)
Mon, 23 Jun 1997 16:12:54 -0500

>I know this question is unrelated to scotty, but the people on this mailing
>list tend to be quite a bit more informative that the people on the tcl
>newsgroup. Anyways, I was hoping somebody could point me in the direction of
>some information about arrays and hash tables. Basically, I need some type
>of container (array, hash table, etc) that meets the following criteria:
>
>- Fast lookup of whether an element exists (searching through a list for it
>is not acceptable)
>- The ability to hold from 10,000 to 100,000 or more elements, and their values
>- The ability to add elements at a reasonable rate (searching through a list
>of 50,000 elements, looking for the correct place to put this one is
>unacceptable)
>
>I was hoping that the tcl array functionality was implemented as some sort
>of hash table or similar structure, so that it could meet my needs.
>Unfortunately, I don't know where I can look to find out if such is true. If
>not, I'd also be interested in any other such structures that might be in
>tcl or any of the following extensions:
>
>- itcl
>- Tclx
>- expect
>- tclbin

<rest deleted>

Yes, as Juergen said, Tcl associative arrays are hash tables.
You might also have a look at Msql. I haven't benchmarked it for
performance, but it is small and lean so it should be pretty quick.
It will also allow you to not have huge gobs of memory tied up for
your hash table and be better from a resource perspective. You can also
query on your results to get the info you need in a better fashion.