Re: [Q] wait on snmp walk?

Robert Seeger (Robert_Seeger@BayNetworks.COM)
Sat, 21 Jun 1997 16:55:59 -0400

Juergen,

Thanks for the info. I've been talking to somebody else about this, and he
clued me in to this information.

At 07:56 PM 6/21/97 +0200, you wrote:
>The `walk' command does not work asynchronously. It is a synchronous
>getnext/getbulk loop and you can't process other events inside. Well,
>you can process events by calling `update' in the body of the loop.
>But you have to be careful and you should fully understand the
>implications of doing nested events. An asynchronous version of the
>walk command is on the TODO list, but it is not likely that it will
>happen soon. You can however write a simple Tcl-only solution with the
>getnext command yourself.

I found a way to do this, also. Somebody pointed me to the event command. I
took a loko into it, and it does what I want it to do. My only problem now
is that the event command in my shell only takes two options (raise and
bind). As of yet, I have not found what is creating the new command over the
original (with add, delete, bind, etc.) I can do it with only raise and
bind, I'd just like to figure out why the real command is gone. It seems
kind of wierd.

>Please read the after(n) and the fileevent(n) Tcl man pages. The Tnm
>extension provides a command for operations that should be done
>regularly. Read the job(n) man page for details.
> Juergen

Anyways, thanks for the help. As a side note, what's up with the Tcl
conference in Boston? I've heard some comments about it, including the fact
that you'll be there. Is it open to the public? I would really like to go to
any talk you might give on Scotty, since I'll be useing it so much in the
future. Can you point me to a location with information about it?

Thanks again,
Robert Seeger
Robert Seeger
Network Engineer