Re: Tkined - A few questions

Michael Stein (mas@ucla.edu)
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 18:24:02 -0700

>Bones was a nice project where we made several experiments and learned
>a lot about how to do it wrong. Database integration is really
>difficult, at least if you do not want to dictate a particular
>database system and a particular database model. I am currently not
>working on database integration. Instead, I am adding the core of
>Tkined into the Tnm extension which will lead to a "standard" file
>format to describe network maps.

Any thought to being able to describe the physical structure of
a network -- like including labels on wires/fibers. Each
link might be more than one cable with connections -- each
connection needs to be included in the description.

I'm new to Tkined, so if it's already there please let me
know where to look...

>There was a remote interface several releases ago which allowed to
>connect a local Tkined to a remote Tkined. This remote interface was
>'proof of concept' study and had lots of problems. One reasons to put
>the core of Tkined into the Tnm extension itself is to split Tkined
>into a client/server application, where the user-interface is
>separated from the management system itself. This will give us remote
>access for free and it will allow to add new interfaces, like a Web
>frontend. I am moving into this direction, but it will take some
>releases until this is all in place.

A thought here -- would this allow distributed Tkined areas, where
I maintain my data, you maintain your data, but we each can see
both including the connections between our networks (assuming
adjoining networks)?