Re: Tkined - A few questions

Raul Miller (rmiller@aspensys.com)
Sun, 8 Jun 1997 08:22:52 -0400

> Telnet/Expect: I have been informed that security-conscious customers
> are said to only allow "telnet" protocol through (via dialup or the net)
> for troubleshooting purposes. If this is a common scenario (is it?),
> then it is unfortunate to have to forego every protocol except for
> telnet. So, question: has anyone developed scripts to drive the
> performance meters/bar-charts through tcl/expect/telnet processing
> (instead of rpc or SNMP)?

Hm...

I'd think security concious customers would be interested in allowing
ssh protocol through. [allows services on remote machine to be
tunneled through ssh's encrypted pipe to services on remote machine,
and vice versa.]

Worst comes to worse, you could put ssh protocol on telnet ports.

[Aside: currently ssh only supports tcp forwarding. However, this
is enough to forward rpc.]

--
Raul