Re: make install problems

Doug Hughes (Doug.Hughes@Eng.Auburn.EDU)
Fri, 6 Jun 1997 14:16:49 -0500

>I have installed 2.1.5 scotty and bind 4.9.3 and I have made
>all the adjustments according to porting.notes. I still am running
>into a problem with make install Please Help. Below is the discription
>
>Installing scotty2.1.5 and tnm2.1.5.so
>Installing ./../tnm/library/README
>Installing ./../tnm/library/dialog.tcl
>Installing ./../tnm/library/output.tcl
>Installing ./../tnm/library/snmp.tcl
>Installing ./../tnm/library/monitor.tcl
>Installing ./../tnm/library/obsolete.tcl
>Installing ./../tnm/library/init.tcl
>ld.so: Undefined symbol: _Tnm_SyslogCmd

Fixed.. He was referring to 4.1.3_U1 OS

Revision to the porting.notes (the ones in there are based upon 2.1.4, which
has a couple fewer files to link. This update will work with 2.1.5 and 2.1.4
(and probably earlier)

Juergen, Please update the porting.notes for SunOS as follows:
(Note the difference in instruction #4)

SunOS4, various versions

The following detailed description was provided by Doug Hughes
(<Doug.Hughes@Eng.Auburn.EDU>):

1. Configure and build normally. At the end you will get an error
linking tnm.so about mixing pic and PIC .o files.

2. Edit the Makefile and go to the tnm$(SHLIB_SUFFIX) rule. Change the
executed command to be:

$(SHLIB_LD) -assert pure-text -o tnm$(SHLIB_SUFFIX) $(TNM_OBJS)

Also delete the "-lresolv" word from the LIBS line in the Makefile
Go down two rules to the tkined$(SHLIB_SUFFIX) rule and change it to:

$(SHLIB_LD) -assert pure-text -o tkined$(SHLIB_SUFFIX) $(TKI_GENERIC_OBJS)

3. Get the bind-4.9.4 or bind-4.9.3 source. For purposes here they
are equivalent, but you should get the latest one anyway. It is
available at ftp.vix.com. cd to the res directory. Edit the Makefile
and add -DSPRINTF_CHAR -DSUNOS -DSUNSECURITY and -PIC to the CFLAGS line.
Comment out lines 101-102 by putting a # at the beginning of the line.
(Make sure you use the bundled SunOS C compiler, the SunPRO compilers
will give you errors about redeclared identifiers).

4. You now have a library in the res directory, but you need to link
these files as a shared library with the tnm stuff. So, take all the
.o files from the res directory and copy them into the scotty unix
directory. Now, augment the ld command that failed in step 1 with
these same .o files (either add them to TNM_OBJS in the Makefile, or
execute the ld command by hand with all the tnm objects and bind
objects).

The easiest way is to add the following lines to the Makefile between
TNM_GENERIC_OBJS and SNMP_SRCS

RES_OBJS = gethnamaddr.o getnetent.o nsap_addr.o res_init.o \
res_send.o getnetbyaddr.o getnetnamadr.o res_comp.o \
res_mkquery.o sethostent.o getnetbyname.o herror.o \
res_debug.o res_query.o

now type make again to complete the build.

5. make install

6. Edit $tcl_library/init.tcl and add:
lappend auto_path $tcl_library/../tnm2.1.5 $tcl_library/../tkined1.4.5

This will get the pkgIndex.tcl files there to have access to auto-loading
the scotty/tnm routines as needed.