Re: Trap MIB strangeness

Keith Dart (kdart@cisco.com)
Wed, 28 May 1997 19:40:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 28 May 1997, Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:

> This piece of code tries to convert a SNMPv1 trap definition into the
> SNMPv2 definition. This usually means that a new MIB tree node needs
> to be created which has a sub-identifier value of 0. The Cisco MIB you
> are using has been converted from SNMPv2 format to SNMPv1 format using
> SMICng. SMICng is clever and hence it creates a definition for the
> missing MIB tree node. Scotty did not expect that this would happen
> and hence we are in trouble.
>
> The simplest workaround is to the original SNMPv2 CISOC MIBs instead
> of the SNMPv1 MIBS generated by SMICng.

After sending that email I did try the SNMPv2 MIBS, and those loaded OK
(once I got the order right). I originally thought I'd load the v1 MIBS
since that has been around longer and I would have a better chance of
success. So much for that theory.

PS I also created a site.tcl that you or others might be interested in.
It looks something like this:
#

# I like some of those tclX commands. 8-)
package require Tclx
# necessary for some CISCO stuff. Note that the order is important.
lappend tnm(mibs:core) CISCO-SMI.my CISCO-PRODUCTS-MIB.my
lappend tnm(mibs:core) CISCO-GENERAL-TRAPS.my

##
## The global variable tnm(mibs) is used to hold a list of mibs that
## are auto-loaded by the tnm Tcl extension. You can extend or
## redefine this list in your site/init.tcl file (this file).
##

# automatically read in a list of mibs. This makes maintenance of the
# mib set easier.
for_recursive_glob myfile $tnm(library)/site/autoloadmibs {*} {
lappend tnm(mibs) $myfile
}
unset myfile
This basically makes it easy to add new MIBS: just put them in the
site/autoloadmibs directory and you're done.

Keith Dart, Network Systems Engineer email: kdart@ins.com
International Network Services
Current client: kdart@cisco.com
Cisco Systems, Access Business Unit pager: +1.800.467.1467
Access DevTest/Solution Testing phone: +1.408.527.1391
fax: +1.408.527.3778