RE: I never see SNMP traps from routers Cisco

Marcelo Torrecilla Jimenez (marcelot@tsai.es)
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 11:17:22 +0200

Sorry, I had not seen it ... when I execute 'Trap Sink', I receive the
next error: " straps: unable to bind multicast trap socket: Address already
in use".

About the files /tmp/.strap*, I have a file .strap-162 with the permissions
srwxrwxrwx.
? Why I can't execute "Trap Sink" ? ? Is something using this socket ? ?
Who?

Thanks

Marcelo Torrecilla
TSAI
marcelot@tsai.es

----------
Desde: Damir Delija[SMTP:ddelija@srce.hr]
Enviado el: viernes 18 de abril de 1997 14:07
Para: Marcelo Torrecilla Jimenez
Asunto: Re: I never see SNMP traps from routers Cisco

> Hi all:
>

> I start SNMP-MONITOR and execute Trap Sink (listen, Accept). In the
router,
> I provoke a trap shutdown an interface, and with a debug I see that the
> router send an udp packet to my Linux machine with destination port 162.
> In Linux machine I dont see anything. In the Monitor Job Info it saids:
> "Sorry, no jobs available". Listen SNMP TRAPS is a job ?
> The community string is public in Linux machine and router.
>

> What's happen ?
> Thank you in anticipation.

There is few posible reasons, check the straps configurations if
straps is running, persmissions on /tmp/.strap* socket.

My instalation once create /tmp/.strap* which 000 perimisions so
monitor was unable to connect.

In examples for scotty you can find snmptrad as test trap deamon
and in snmp help page there are examples for trap and info sending, so
you can test if you can send trap by hand.

Also there is posbility that you have misconfigured router, usually
trap destination or trap enable is wrong.

Damir Delija