Re: Event notification via a pager or writing to a file.

Doug Hughes (Doug.Hughes@Eng.Auburn.EDU)
Wed, 9 Apr 1997 09:55:16 -0500

>Has anyone integrated pager notifications with tkined? As well as
>receiving a flash'ing icon, or receiving writes to the screen, or
>syslog entries, I want to receive pager notifications.
>
>Also, when I choose write as a threshold action I would like an option
>to have it write to a file instead of the screen.
>
>If anyone has worked on these two enhancements I'd like to hear from
>you.
>
>Thanks,
>
> Ed
>P.S. I already have the pag'ing itself working. I just need to
>integrate it with tkined.

I have a mod to ip_monitor.tcl which I've posted in the past that sends
email when a host goes down. I integrate it with the patch that makes
a host 'blue' when it comes back up (so that if you've been away you know
a host was down). It's pretty easy to stick in there. Most people have
an email to paging gateway, so voila.

To effect the mod, check your ip_monitor.tcl and look frofor
proc ReachabilityProc {ids} {

page down a bit until you find
if {$rtt < 0} {

Right after the 'ined -noupdate color $id red'

I put a line that looks like this:

exec echo "[ined name $id] is down - [exec date]" | /usr/ucb/mail -s "host [ined name $id] is down" admin,doug