Re: UB hubs

Magnus Svavarsson (magnus@hum.auc.dk)
Thu, 3 Apr 1997 20:48:45 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Doug Hughes wrote:

> >Hello all:
> >
> >I have several UB hubs. These hub are GeoStax/E 24-port Managed Stackable
> >Hub. They have
> >an MAC address, and by BOOTP they have now IP address.
> >I have the tkined installed monitorizing the abobe hubs but i can see the
> >interface load reflected on tkined is very low, in fact I know there is a
> >high traffic load on it, does anybody knows how to see the correct
> >measurements, may be adding additional MIBs ,etc.
> >
> >Any answer will be apreciated,
> >
> >Thank you in advance,
> >
> >Marcelo Torrecilla.
> >
> >E-mail:marcelot@tsai.es
> >

> You need to just monitor the right mib through an SNMP job. Interface
> load reflects more of a router concept than a hub concept. Routers have
> interfaces, hubs have ports. You could also get the interface load
> on a per-port basis, but these mibs are typically vendor specific and
> not standardized. I'm afraid we don't have any UB hubs here, so I wouldn't
> be able to give you a specific direction to take in searching for the
> MIB data that you need.

I am working on a patch for snmp_monitor.tcl to add a "Port Load" entry
to the menu. This has proven to be difficult, even though I have
concentrated on 3Com HUBs only. Different versions of management modules
implement different MIBs, or even parts of a MIB :-(
The only variable I have found outside dedicated 3Com MIBs are
rptrMonitorPortReadableOctets and that family from SNMP-REPEATER-MIB in
/pack/scotty-2.1.5/lib/tnm2.1.5/mibs/rfc1516.mib
If no MIBs are available for your HUb specifically, you might try this
variable.

It looks like the ifInOctets/ifOutOctets variables used in "Interface
Load" show traffic to the management module only :-(

If I am happy enough with the result of my work on "Port Load", I will
make the patch available through this list. My plan is to be able to
watch traffic on a port, having the %-load text below, and the name of the
host too, if I am able to find out who is there, by checking the
rptrAddrTrackLastSourceAddress variable every time. I try to change the
color of the graph depending on if the port is connected or not. So far
it works, but I have some fine-tuning to do. There are years since I did
tcl-programming :-\

If someone knows of a MIB that is implemented by most companies, that can
show the load of a HUB port, I would be very interrested to hear of it. I
would like my work to be useable on other than 3Com HUBs, but those are
the only ones I have to test on.