Re: TKIned install problems (linux)

Doug Hughes (Doug.Hughes@Eng.Auburn.EDU)
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 07:54:36 -0600

> From owner-tkined@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de Fri Mar 14 16:40:43 1997
> Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 21:47:10 +0100
> From: Vermeer Marc <vrongel@loveboat.com>
> .
> I am running tcl7.5 and tk4.1 in Linux 2.0.0 from slackware 3.0
>
> I have downloaded Scotty-2.1.5 and run the configure file
>
> 189>make
> cc -c -O -fPIC -I. -I./../tnm/generic -I/usr/include
> -DTNMLIB=\"/usr/local/lib/tnm2.1.5\" ./../tnm/generic/tnmInit.c
> In file included from ./../tnm/generic/tnmInit.c:14:
> ../tnm/generic/tnmInt.h:40: parse error before `*'
> .
> .
> .
>Something is contaminated. Might there be an old and/or
>corrupt /usr/include/tcl.h, one that is *not* 7.5?
>
>This can be solved. I see no one else has followed up to
>the list at large. I hope you've gotten past this point;
>if not, write me, and we'll step through the <configure>.

Yeah, one thing I notice right off the bat is that your tcl/tk distribution
was probably built with gcc (the -fPIC flag tips me off to this) and you
are building scotty/tnm with cc. It's generally not a good idea to do this
because of the symbol differences. You'll run into lots of linking errors
dealing with how many underscores are present in symbol names. Pick one
compiler and stick with it and you'll be much better off. (I use the Sun
Sparcworks compiler for this and it works fine)