Re: cmu snmp 3.2 for ultrix/solaris/aix/nt ???

Peter Polkinghorne (Peter.Polkinghorne@brunel.ac.uk)
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 11:41:25 +0000

> Q: Is there any public source tree that implements an snmpv1/2 demon for
> all major unix platforms (perhaps even M$ NT ?)

I would recommend the UCD version of the CMU stuff - see
ftp://ftp.ece.ucdavis.edu/pub/snmp/ for sources - runs on hpux{9,10}, SunOs,
Solaris, Ultrix and netbsdi. As to Windows NT I believ M$ do suply an agent

> Q: How difficult is it to port cmu-snmp3.2 to ultrix, aix, solaris, nt ?
> (I mean the 'applications' not the library)

Fairly easy I think - but scotty offers all this.

> Q: Why is cmu-snmp still called cmu-snmp since there is no connection to
> CMU but the original implementation long ago ?

History/Reputation - does change sometimes since ucd-snmp started as a port of
cmu-snmp to solaris.

> Q: How about implementing an snmpd with tnm2.1.5 ... there are some examples
> in $(SCOTTY)/lib/agents, but I'm not sure about performance issues and
> porting the scotty interpreter to all my unix hosts ...

It is possible ... I have built agents in the past and they worked acceptably.

> Q: Did I forget something important ?

Yes one thing - SNMPv2 with party security architecture is dead. SNMPv2 as it
currently stands adds some nice features, but not so many that working with
SNMPv1 agents is bad news.