Re: New tkined objects

Buz Owen (ado@BBN.COM)
Thu, 10 Oct 1996 19:23:42 -0400

Gerd Aschenman wrote:

> Buz Owen wrote:
> >An idea which I haven't tried is to give an "address" attribute to
> >each link leaving a node - and then modify any other scripts that
> >have features you want to use recognize the address attribute if
> >[ ined select ] returns a link.

> Keep in mind, that a node might have different virtual addresses on
> the same physical interface (link), eg. a www- or ftp-server serving
> for multiple domains with different contents.

One can actually create several links from a node to a network, but
all such links appear on the map as one and are not easy to select
individually, so this solution won't work well if you have interfaces
with multiple ip addresses.

The usual situation of having different addresses on the same interface
is when one has different ip networks on the same wire - then one
might want to show the different virtual ip networks as different ined
network objects. However, if the networks are parallel lines, as is
likely, the parallel links to each of the two networks may still overlay
each other.

My other suggeston of using a node for each interface should work
out fine, using a node for each address.

> -- =

> Gerd Aschemann --- aschemann@Informatik.TH-Darmstadt.de
> Ver=F6ffentlichen hei=DFt Ver=E4ndern (Carmen Thomas)

-b