Re: Linux binary? (Tkined)

David Engel (david@elo.ods.com)
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 21:30:16 -0500 (CDT)

Juergen Schoenwaelder writes:
> David> What don't you like about it? I haven't really looked into the
> David> problem yet, so I'm not fully aware of the advantages/disadvantages of
> David> his proposal.
>
> John proposed to change the way the auto_path is used. He did not
> define an additional directory that is included in the auto_path and
> independent of the Tcl version. So every extension is automatically
> bound to the Tcl version - something I dislike.

In an ideal world, I can see the advantage of making it independent of
the Tcl version. However, since each new version of Tcl is usually
incompatible at the binary level (and often even at the source level),
I don't see this as a big problem. For example, it would be very
unlikely that a libscotty.so built against Tcl7.5 would work with
Tcl7.6. To make it work with Tcl7.6, you would have to rebuild scotty
anyway.

David