Re: Linux binary? (Tkined)

David Engel (david@elo.ods.com)
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 10:25:10 -0500 (CDT)

Juergen Schoenwaelder writes:
> david@elo.ods.com (David Engel) said:
> David> Aside to Juergen. What do you think of Dr. Ousterhout's proposed
> David> improvement to package loading? I will probably add it, or something
> David> similar, to the Debian version of Tcl 7.5 before packaging Scotty
> David> 2.1.2.
>
> Well, you know that I am not 100 % happy with John's solution. Anyway,
> scotty will use whatever mechanism will appear in Tcl 7.6 to pickup
> packages automatically. (I still hope that John modifies its scheme a
> bit.)

What don't you like about it? I haven't really looked into the
problem yet, so I'm not fully aware of the advantages/disadvantages of
his proposal.

> I don't think that the patches proposed on the comp.lang.tcl list
> create nasty side effects - you need a complicated setup with some
> naming conflicts to make this happen. So it should be save to include
> one or both of these patches in the Debian version if you are prepared
> to change this scheme again when Tcl7.6 comes out.

I would be prepared to change it. If I rebuilt scotty to use Tcl7.6
instead of Tcl7.5, I would be changing it anyways. As things stand
now, I don't think either solution (modifying files in an installed
TCL package or requiring users to set TCLLIBPATH) is acceptible for
Debian.

David