Re: traps in scotty

Ed Phillips (flaregun@UDel.Edu)
Wed, 4 Sep 1996 16:02:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 4 Sep 1996, Cameron Laird wrote:

> From owner-tkined@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de Wed Sep 4 07:14:40 1996
> .
> .
> .
> I am using scotty2.1.0 to do some snmp work.
>
> i find i can create snmp sessions and send /rcv snmp get responses
> just fine.
>

> however, i have not been able to generate and send SNMP traps
> or been able to receive them successfully using the code outlined
> in the man page or the examples directory
>
> can someone tell me what's going wrong
>
> if you have a simple code fragment that does these simple things
> with traps please send me and tell me any other things i need to
> set up before executing it.
> .
> .
> .
> It's quite likely that there's a fault in installation
> of straps. Straps is a trap re-director that must be
> running to receive traps correctly (in general; some of
> us have worked on alternatives to straps, but those are
> very special-purpose, and almost certainly not an issue
> in this case). Read up on straps.
>
> Cameron Laird
> Network Engineered Solutions http://starbase.neosoft.com/~bodi/nesi.html
> claird@calladan.com +1 713 763 8366
> claird@NeoSoft.com +1 713 996 8546 FAX
> Houston WWW Business Guide: http://starbase.neosoft.com/~bodi/HouGuide.html

Another problem you may be seeing is that straps quits after at
the first scotty "trap handler" program has started and no more are
running.
For example:

start straps
start trap_handler_1
start trap_handler_2
kill trap_handler_1
start trap_handler_3
kill trap_handler_2
kill trap_handler_3
straps quits

Or this can be a problem when you're testing a new handler:

start straps
start trap_handler_1
kill trap_handler_1
straps quits
start trap_handler_1 again ... fails: straps is not running

Personally I think straps should stay running forever... but I
haven't had time to muck with it. As long as you know that you have to
restart straps, it's okay like it is.

Hope this helps,
Ed

| Ed Phillips <flaregun@udel.edu> University of Delaware (302) 831-6082 |
| Systems Programmer II, Network and Systems Services |
| Public key footprint: 1C D4 AC C2 A3 D5 97 AA DB 3B D8 85 88 E7 40 B8 |
| finger -l flaregun@polycut.nss.udel.edu for PGP public key |