Re: agent-addr

Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@cs.utwente.nl)
Sat, 31 Aug 1996 14:24:51 +0200

Paul Fink <pfink@theKing.mnet.uswest.com> wrote:

> For traps, why does TNM report the address from the IP packets as the
> "IP address of the remote agent" rather than the agent-addr from the
> PDU?

Earlier versions used the agent-addr from the PDU. I removed this
feature when I took a more serious look at SNMPv2 traps which do not
have this address field anymore. So I decided to use the address from
the IP address since this works the same for all SNMP versions. I
recently got another complain about this behaviour and I changed the
code now so that it will use the agent-addr field on SNMPv1 handles
and the IP address for SNMPv2. I expect that people will later wonder
why SNMPv1 traps are handled differently from SNMPv2 but I think it is
currently the most practical solution. (Perhaps we should bring this
up in the SNMPv2 group so that they can define a MIB object which can
be used to send the address of the trap generating agent in SNMPv2.)

Juergen

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder schoenw@cs.utwente.nl http://www.cs.utwente.nl/~schoenw
Computer Science Department, University of Twente,   (Fax: +31-53-489-3247)