Re: logging spam

David Carmean (dlc@silcom.com)
Thu, 29 Aug 1996 08:11:56 -0700 (PDT)

I guess you're going to have to learn tcl now, too.... :o)

Actually, assuming your syslogd can send to a pipe, and assuming
you can change the logging facility in tkined (I haven't tried it), you
could pipe the log info to a perl or awk filter to keep track of the
state of things you want to know about, and send the resulting state
transitions to the logs you want swatch to listen to.

I only use tkined when I'm troubleshooting things right now...don't have the
resources to leave it running all the time. Instead, I have a perl script
which tries to open TCP sockets to different services on different hosts, so
that it not only sees when a line is down, but tells me when various daemons
crash, etc.... If it knows something's already down, it won't page me about
it again until it comes back up.

--
David Carmean           WB6YZM          DC574           <dlc@silcom.com>
        System/Network Administration, Silicon Beach Communications