Re: distributed tkined

Juergen Schoenwaelder (schoenw@cs.utwente.nl)
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 16:50:05 +0200

Alan Hannan <alan@gi.net> wrote:

> * The problem is, I only seem to be able to get one functional
> tkined client. Also, the tkined server seems to have problems
> redrawing the screen. :( I can run 1 server, and if I try to
> start two clients running off of it, one works, one doesn't :(

> So, what do you all recommend? Is what I want to do reasonable?
> Are there any bugs I should be aware of? Do you have any general
> comments?

Well, it should basically work, even with more that one remote tkined
viewer. However, the "remote tkined" feature is more like a prove of
concept study (another nice work for hack). I expect that there are
some bugs since I did not use it regularly (which is the best way to
get things debugged).

The bad news is that "remote tkined" is currently not supported by
newer versions of the scotty package. The primary reason is that I did
not spend time to re-write the rpc Tcl command which is used to
implement the "remote tkined" feature. (I did not update it to use the
channel IO mechanism since it has some design problems anyway.) The
second reason is that tkined itself should become a client-server
application where the server is able to load maps and running scripts
without the need to access any user interface. Multiple GUIs should be
able to connect to the server to get status updates and to manipulate
the map maintained by the server. However, this is more the long-term
goal and it does not help you if you are looking for a short-term
solution.
Juergen

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder schoenw@cs.utwente.nl http://www.cs.utwente.nl/~schoenw
Computer Science Department, University of Twente,   (Fax: +31-53-489-3247)